Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Corporal Punishment Questionnaire - Please read guys
03-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Corporal Punishment Questionnaire - Please read guys
Hi guys. I need some responses to a questionaire that i have made for my Media Studies Coursework. Please answer with total honesty and a Yes or No will suffice, please dont dribble on lol. Feel free to add extra comments after the questions about your opinion, it will be interesting to see. Thanks in advance.

Corporal Punishment Questionnaire

1. Do you know what Corporal Punishment is?

Yes –
No –

2. Do you think the lack of Corporal Punishment in schools is a cause for young anti-social behavior?

Yes –
No –

3. Do you think streets would be safer if Corporal Punishment was re-introduced?

Yes –
No –

4. Would you like to see a return of Corporal Punishment in the UK?

Yes –
No –

5. Do you think Corporal Punishment helps to teach children social values?

Yes –
No –

6. Do you think Corporal Punishment helps to teach children discipline?

Yes –
No –

7. Would you support a campaign that aimed to bring back Corporate Punishment in the UK?

Yes –
No –

8. What age group do you belong to?

1-16
17-25
26-35
36-50
51+

P.S. I need to get alot of responses quickly or my coursework may be late lol.

- DESPERATELY BORED -
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Re: Corporal Punishment Questionnaire - Please read guys

Yes

2. Do you think the lack of Corporal Punishment in schools is a cause for young anti-social behavior?

No

3. Do you think streets would be safer if Corporal Punishment was re-introduced?

No

No

No

No

7. Would you support a campaign that aimed to bring back Corporate Punishment in the UK?

No

17-25

Lieutenant Commander Gladriel / Glad 80 Druid, Retired
Melonv 80 Paladin Retired
Memorantix 85 Undead Priest Retired
Retired forever :(
03-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

17-25

Antiges - DK
Rhamah - Mage
Lunacy - Rogue
Lurpac - Warrior
03-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Yes

No

No

No (not from the UK, but whatever - I think the hypothesis that lack of corporal punishment is a reason for the criminality rate etc. is just 100% crap)

No

No

No

17-25

__

Hope it helps you out. Smile

On a side note, I'd like to know what exactly is meant by "anti-social behaviour", not that it would change my answer, but for curiosity's sake it would be interesting to know exactly.
03-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Yes

Yes
(Note - I think it is A cause, though not THE cause)

Yes
(if combined with good parenting)

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

26-35

Note: As I stated a number of times above, I think CP works in conjunction with good parenting... but CP on its own isn't that effective. It's my opinion that a lot of the social breakdown occuring in the UK is a result of a lack of parenting skills and a refusal by parents to take responsibility for their actions and for their children's actions. Just my two cents.
03-03-2007, 04:54 PM

Yes –

Yes – Kids don't get to understand that there are repercussions to their actions, slapping them with a stick should teach em soon enough, or even a clout round the ear or two.

Yes – Under the understanding that they will be given a kicking if caught doing something I'm sure there would be.

Yes – Slap kids into stopping chavs, I love the idea

Yes – with other things

Yes – It teaches them right from wrong which leads to what people mentally consider to be discipline (stopping yourself from doing certain things)

Yes –

17-25

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ca...a/advanced

Raiding in Australian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Yes

No

No - I firmly believe that "Violence begets violence" - if you hit a child, that is in my opinion telling the child it is ok to physically hurt others.

No - Answering "yes" to this shows a pretty warped logic, imo: Hitting an adult is assault, punishable by law, but it would be ok for me to hit my children (if I had any) just because they aren't legally adult? No, sorry, it's NEVER right to hurt another human being. There are NO exceptions to this, imnsho.

No – As above, I believe it only teaches them that this kind of behaviour is ok, which it is NOT.

No. That's so preposterous I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It might well teach them fear, though. If you want to teach your children to be afraid of you, go ahead, hit them.

No.

26-35

As a sidenote - even though I realise some people's replies are pretty sarcastic... the idea of condoning child abuse is completely abhorrent to me, and it makes my blood boil! Do unto others as you would like done to you! Would *you* like a clout around the head every time you do something wrong?
03-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Yes –

No –

No –

No –

No – what social value is there in a black eye from your Dad? "Stop crying! Would you like some more?"

Loaded question, but I'll answer - No – It *will* teach discipline, but by means of fear, and in turn they will apply the basic supposition that the same method of control is acceptable. Welcome to the cycle of violence.

No – I'd actively argue against it.

26-35

I added a couple of notes in there, but lets flesh this out a bit. I was spanked as a child, quite regularly in fact, by a father who didn't know anything other than the application of a slipper or a wrist lock (learn it in judo! practice it on 10 yr olds!) until the day he lifted his hand to my brother and my brother kicked him so hard between the legs he had to go to hospital. I went to school with people who would "fall down the stairs" a lot, and it did *nothing* good for them.

I find it *amazing* that there are people in this world that would call the police if they saw someone hit a puppy and yet they would stand by a parent's "right" to physically abuse their children.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nspcc.org.uk/">http://www.nspcc.org.uk/</a><!-- m -->

NB: It's violence. The application of physical force against another living being. Apply any labels or abbreviations you like, but it still doesn't make it palatable.
03-03-2007, 08:32 PM

There's a difference between the application of violence to truly hurt and the corporal punishment method of appliance violence to deter by influencing the mind of youngsters.

Corporal punishment is the practical application on children of electro-shock therapy. If we could take this to another thread it would be an awesome discussion.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ca...a/advanced

Raiding in Australian.
03-03-2007, 08:39 PM

CrazyScot Wrote:There's a difference between the application of violence to truly hurt and the corporal punishment method of appliance violence to deter by influencing the mind of youngsters.

Develop that please, because I'm on one side with the people who say that application of any type of violence towards your children is kind of teaching them that the application of violence towards their future children is just perfectly right. I mean, basically, you're still hurting the child, so what bloody difference is there? Do you think education should be structured like that - with the motto "Behave, or daddy is going to get out his electro shocks and remind you who the man is"? That's just sick.
03-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Yes

No

Who said that Corporal punishment is the only route?
There is a distinct lack of any 'consiquence' to bad behaviour at the moment , in my day Corperal punishment or not , even talking back to a teacher was considered risky (be it cane , detention , suspention , lack of breaktime priviledges..) , Now we see vidoes of pupils 'happy slapping' teachers , fully aware that no teacher is even allowed to so much as look at them funny for risk of prosecution.
Yes , there has to be punishment , but violence isnt it.

No –

I think they would be safer if there was less paperwork , League tables and Government statitics and more actual policing.

No –

No –

However that said - Before a certain age , children are incapable of comprehending danger. You can take away all sorts of things and use all sorts of PC methods.. but at the end of the day , a mild slap is often the best deterant. In my mind , a mildly sore bum for a few minutes is better than being dead.

However , im fully aware that some people always go to far , and i am by no meens suggesting that its ok to cause injury , or use a belt / stick.
For me it was only ever considered as a last resort and even then for the shortest of periods , and now my daughter is fully able to comprehend danger when warned i wouldnt even dream of it.

No –

Proper parenting / teaching instils discipline.

No –

26-35
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Yes, most definatly.

No – the clear oppisite. It has caused Anti-social behaviour.

No.

No

Yes – Bad/negative values that cause volince/antisocial behaviour

Yes and No. It help teach a form of BAD (or agrresive), unproductive for of disipline

No

17-25
03-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Yes –

Lack of respect is the main cause, corporal punishment causes fear primarily.

As a punishment from the courts yes, a good public flogging is probably far more effective than a fine.

Yes – see above

No – it may teach them that actions have consequences though

Yes – if you believe that fear is a good way to teach this.

No – not at school level

26-35
03-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Is there some sort of guide to differentiate between these "types" of violence?* Who draws the line? The parents? If a parent decides that *their* child needs sufficient "discipline" that they have to take a few days off school until the swelling goes down, is that OK?

When you physically attack someone who you are bound by both natural and legal precedences to protect and care for, you cross a line, irrespective of how justified you might feel that assault is.

Lets add another analogy to this one, since we've already touched on the "hitting your pets = bad, hitting your kids = good" dichotomy. How about your spouse? Zero tolerance on domestic abuse, but hey, the kids are fair game for a slap!

*I'd hazard a guess that somewhere, deep in the dark recesses of the 'net, there is. Even the KKK has a website to "help" children understand why miscegenation is an offence to all good white folks.
03-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Rildar Wrote:*I'd hazard a guess that somewhere, deep in the dark recesses of the 'net, there is. Even the KKK has a website to "help" children understand why miscegenation is an offence to all good white folks.

Deep in the dark recesses? took me a couple of minutes to find this.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kkk.bz/teensand.htm">http://www.kkk.bz/teensand.htm</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kkk.bz/youthcorp.htm">http://www.kkk.bz/youthcorp.htm</a><!-- m -->
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Yes –

No –

No –

No –

No –

No –

Corporate punishment? - spank those business men! Tongue

YES! :twisted:

36-50

Fae

XX
03-03-2007, 10:10 PM

Yes – Of course.

Neither. This is a side issue, there is a much bigger picture here.

No – That would be a naive stance to take.

No – Not particularly.

No – Not social values, but it does give a insight into life.

Yes

No.

26-35

Ultima Ratio Regum

Suffering from Mood Poisoning...Must be Something I Hate.

Before you pass judgement, try walking a mile in another mans shoes, because by that time you'll be a mile away, you'll have his shoes, so you can say what you want.
03-03-2007, 11:01 PM

Yes –

2. Do you think the lack of Corporal Punishment in schools is a cause for young anti-social behaviour?

No – From experience in Scotland it is mostly to do with run down areas although there are exceptions you can always associate a particular area with its standard of social behaviour.

No –

No – I my eyes it’s a devolution of our society with little to gain.

No – That comes from friends, family and the actual teaching itself; forcing information upon someone has an inferior effect as opposed to actually willing to learn it. Basically if there is a good family environment and good quality teaching it would in my eyes do a better job than corporal punishment.

No – Agree with Rildar's PoV

7. Would you support a campaign that aimed to bring back Corporal Punishment in the UK?

No – As I don't think anything would be gained from it.

17-25
03-03-2007, 11:19 PM

Yes to all of the first questions.

17-25
04-03-2007, 12:54 AM

Yes

No it has nothing to do with it

Yes alot

No, never in a civil country

No why it should?

Yes I think it is the most effective way

7. Would you support a campaign that aimed to bring back Corporal Punishment in the UK?

No, and I pity who does

17-25